Cranberries: scientific studies*
Scientific studies show that cranberries anthocyanins have many health benefits, including:
protecting against bacterial infections in the urinary system and preventing bacterias from seizing into bladder walls (1-6)
preventing the formation of alkaline stones in the urinary tract by working against bacterial-infections
preventing the development of cavities in teeth in a way similar to the action in preventing urinary tract infections
fighting oxydative stress (7)
displaying anti-proliferative activity against several types of cancer in vitro and in vivo, including gastric cancer (8) and esophageal adenocarcinoma. (9)
fending off ulcers by preventing helicobacter pylori, the bacterium which causes peptic ulcers, from adhering to the stomach lining. (10,11)
lowering bad cholesterol levels and increasing good cholesterol levels in the blood.
1. Reduction of Escherichia coli adherence to uroepithelial bladder cells after consumption of cranberry juice: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled cross-over trial. Di Martino P, World J Urol. 2006 Feb;24(1):21-7. Epub 2006 Jan 6
2. Do cranberries help prevent urinary tract infections? Hutchinson J., Nurs Times. 2005 Nov 22-28;101(47):38-40.
3. Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections. Jepson R, Mihaljevic L, Craig J.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;1:CD001321.
4. Characterization of flavonols in cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) powder.
Vvedenskaya IO, Rosen RT, Guido JE, Russell DJ, Mills KA, Vorsa N.
J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Jan 28;52(2):188-95. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14733493?dopt=abstract
5. The role of cranberry juice in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
Griffiths P. Br J Community Nurs. 2003 Dec;8(12):557-61.
6. Cranberry juice consumption may reduce biofilms on uroepithelial cells: pilot study in spinal cord injured patients.
Reid G, Hsiehl J, Potter P, Mighton J, Lam D, Warren D, Stephenson J.
Spinal Cord 2001 Jan;39(1):26-30
7. Valentova K, Stejskal D, Bednar P, et al. Biosafety, antioxidant status and metabolites in urine after consumption of dried cranberry juice in healthy women: a pilot double-blind placebo-controlled trial. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Apr 18;55:3217-24.
8. Liu M, Lin LQ, Song BB, et al. Cranberry phytochemical extract inhibits SGC-7901 cell growth and human tumor xenografts in Balb/c nu/nu mice. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Jan 28;57(2):762-8.
9. Kresty LA, Howell AB, Baird M. Cranberry proanthocyanidins induce apoptosis and inhibit acid-induced proliferation of human esophageal adenocarcinoma cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Feb 13;56(3):676-80.
10. Zhang L, Ma J, Pan K, Go VL, Chen J, You WC. Efficacy of cranberry juice on Helicobacter pylori infection: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Helicobacter. 2005 Apr;10(2):139-45.
11.Burger O, Weiss E, Sharon N, Tabak M, Neeman I, Ofek I. Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori adhesion to human gastric mucus by a high-molecular-weight constituent of cranberry juice. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2002;42(3 Suppl):279-84.
*Through this site we are only furthering scientific results; on no account we supply medical advices.
The content of this website has not been verified by a physician.